Once you are a Liberty Direct member, you can never be expelled from the program for health reasons, and your Monthly Share Amount cannot be changed because of your health status. So we have to be thoughtful about your health status at the time when you enroll in the program.
Approximately 85% of applicants are accepted immediately. Of the remaining 15%, 3% are declined due to pre-existing health conditions that present too great of a cost burden to the sharing program.
About 7% are enrolled in the program as “Provisional Members.” Provisional Members are people with conditions or lifestyle characteristics that create future health risks but that can be modified. These include such things as: type 2 diabetes, hypertension, obesity, cardiovascular disease, and smoking.
Provisional Members are treated like any other Liberty Direct member with only one exception. They pay an additional $80 per month, which is used to engage a health coach to assist the member in eliminating the risk that is threatening their health.
Once successful, Provisional Members graduate into standard membership and no longer pay the extra $80 per month.
The Provisional program has enjoyed tremendous success in assisting people with redirecting the future of their health and is one of the most exciting features of the Liberty Direct program.
Finally, about 5% of applicants are accepted with a “pre-existing condition.”
A pre-existing condition is any significant condition present at the time of enrollment that has evidenced symptoms or received treatment or medication in the past 24 months. Medical costs specifically related to pre-existing conditions are shared according to the following schedule:
The best way to determine how you would qualify for Liberty Direct is to simply submit your enrollment application. You will be notified promptly of the status of your application, and you will not be charged anything until you accept your membership.
Detailed medical cost sharing guidelines can be viewed in the official Liberty Healthshare Sharing Guidelines document.
Liberty Direct is medical cost sharing program that is a bold approach to paying for healthcare. The program is administered by Liberty HealthShare, a healthcare cost-sharing ministry that has shared healthcare costs for over 20 years. We invite you to consider joining the thousands of families nationwide as an organized community sharing medical expenses.